(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Charts That I Avoid (Part 1)

What do these music notes have in common with the 2 charts below? Make a guess?



For those who have learnt classical music, you will recognise that the music notes above are staccatos. It is a style of playing notes in a detached, separated, distinct manner. See the similarities with the charts now? The 2 charts have gaps all over the place and have candlesticks that are detached from the overall chart, just like how a staccato is played!

I am always reminded of staccatos whenever I see these charts. And these are charts which I do not use for swing trading or holding overnight positions. Avoid them at all costs! They are extremely volatile and there's no telling which way they could gap. Coincidentally, these 2 companies are also in the very sectors that I don't enter for swing trading. BHP- in resource sector and NVS - in drug manufacturing sector. In fact, I avoid all energy and commodities sectors as well as pharma and biotech for swing trading. But day trading them is not a problem.


2 Comments:

Blogger ODA125 said...

S.O.T.,

A great comparison!!! I too do not trade stocks that have such huge "mood swings". Too hard to manage with my method of setting mechanical stops and sell limits. I also rarely if ever play the drug sector - if I do it is usually for a very short term - 1-3 days and only on specific stocks within the sector. I have been hurt the greatest thru the years with the drugs... BTW: I thank you for pointing us to Afraid To Trade blog site. It is a great site that all traders should visit often. I have placed it on my "Short List" as well.

Enjoy International Woman's Day!!! You and all other women have earned it!!! :{)

Oda

7:10 PM  
Blogger Simply Options Trader said...

Hi ODA,
Yes, such stocks are too "moody" for my liking, lol!

I like to introduce great sites, incl yours:), to my readers. There is much to learn from them.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home